Deedy.com Blog

Look up Deedy in Websters Dictionary and you will see the following definition - \Deed"y\, a. Industrious; active. [R.] --Cowper. But to me Deedy is simply my last name and not a very common one at that. My Father always said "find yourself in a strange city? Open a phone book, find a Deedy and give them a call - chances are they are a relative." So, for all the Deedy's out there hello and welcome.


Jack Barry Celebration in Worcester!

[Click on image to see larger]


Who was Jack Barry and how is he related to the Deedy's? Jack Barry was married to Margaret McDonough Barry who was the older sister of Grace McDonough Deedy. Jack Barry played professional baseball for the Philadelphia Athletics and the Boston Red Sox. He then became the coach of the Holy Cross Baseball team. Famous friends of his like Babe Ruth and Lefty Grove would come to visit and stay from time to time at his home in Worcester, MA.

Today he was honored at a luncheon at The Hotel Vernon.


Want to read more about the connection between the Deedy's and Babe Ruth?

The Best of Baseball Digest

Page 358 "...[1996] The Day I Collected Babe Ruth's Autograph BY JOHN DEEDY
When I was growing up in the 1930s in central Massachusetts, baseball cards were for play. We pitched them against..."

Labels:

1 Responses to “Jack Barry Celebration in Worcester!”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    My grandpa, Justin Deedy, used to tell me about Uncle Jack. I wish I had known of this sooner! How neat.  

Post a Comment


Web Deedy.com

120x90_familyhist_dark_1.gif


XML

Powered by Blogger

free webpage hit counter



© 2008 Deedy.com Blog | Deedy.com
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.