Deedy.com Blog

Look up Deedy in Websters Dictionary and you will see the following definition - \Deed"y\, a. Industrious; active. [R.] --Cowper. But to me Deedy is simply my last name and not a very common one at that. My Father always said "find yourself in a strange city? Open a phone book, find a Deedy and give them a call - chances are they are a relative." So, for all the Deedy's out there hello and welcome.


Bridget Deady's brush with Royalty

I have been digging around in my various piles of family history notes when I stumbled across this email. It was sent to me from Clare Tozeski who received it from Kevin Sullivan. Kevin's grandmother, Bridget Deady Sullivan was my great-grandfather, Edward B. Deedy's first cousin. So this is a Sullivan on my paternal side (not to be confused with the Sullivan's I periodically post about who are from my maternal side). Now that I have (hopefully) cleared all that up, here is Kevin's interesting family story:

Clare,

Attached is a picture of Bridget and Michael John Sullivan. I thought you might be interested. I assume it is their wedding photo. I just noticed a pin on Bridget's collar. Under magnification I recognize it. My mother had it and gave it to my sister Maureen who gave it to her daughter Shelia prior to her death. The family history is that Bridgett was taken from a convent to work for the Queen of England (Mary) as a nanny for Prince Edward. I recall the pin was in a small leather covered box and in it was a note on a small piece of paper thanking Bridget for her service. I recall it was signed "The Duchess of York." Queen Mary -- before being Queen, was also the Duchess of York.

Kevin

The photo at the top of the post is Bridget and Michael's wedding photo. The other two photos are of the British royal family. You can see why Queen Mary would be looking for lots of help caring for all those children! Too bad Bridget's charge, Prince Edward ended up giving up the throne to marry the divorcee Wallace...

Keep those family stories coming!

Labels:

1 Responses to “Bridget Deady's brush with Royalty”

  1. # Blogger claricezim

    Jane,
    I was very excited to check back on the Deedy blog after being away for quite a while and read about Bridget's "royal connections"...I have corresponded w/Clare T. in the past (we are distant cousins), but hadn't heard that story yet. Bridget is the sister of my great-grandmother, Annie Deedy O'Neill, and I have tried off and on for over ten years to find records of her birth in Ireland, to no avail. How cool that she worked for the Royal Family! I'm impressed...
    Thank,
    Meg Van Buskirk
    St. Petersburg, FL  

Post a Comment


Web Deedy.com

120x90_familyhist_dark_1.gif


XML

Powered by Blogger

free webpage hit counter



© 2008 Deedy.com Blog | Deedy.com
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.