Deedy.com Blog

Look up Deedy in Websters Dictionary and you will see the following definition - \Deed"y\, a. Industrious; active. [R.] --Cowper. But to me Deedy is simply my last name and not a very common one at that. My Father always said "find yourself in a strange city? Open a phone book, find a Deedy and give them a call - chances are they are a relative." So, for all the Deedy's out there hello and welcome.


Cousins from McDonough side of the family

My Father found this photo taken years ago at a family gathering (maybe a wedding?) Pictured are cousins - all children of the McDonough girls.

My Father did his best to identify everyone below. As always you can click on the image to see larger.



1) Dodie Burgess (daughter of Eva McDonough)
2) Nancy Fay (daughter of Ann McDonough)
3) Marion (O'Leary) Roosevelt (daughter of Mary McDonough O'Leary)
4) Evelyn P. McDonough-Garton (daughter of Patrick T. McDonough)
5) Mary Jane Kennedy Gaitings (daughter of Kate McDonough)
6) Peg Rafferty (daughter of Lou McCarthy)
7) Bill Burgess (son of Eva McDonough)
8) Ted Thompson (son of Agnes McDonough)
9) Tom Deedy (son of Grace McDonough)
10) Bill Fay (son of Ann McDonough)
11) Leslie Thompson (son of Agnes McDonough)
12) Tom Kennedy (son of Kate McDonough)
13) Jim Fay (son of Ann McDonough)
14) Jack Deedy (son of Grace McDonough)
15) Ed Deedy (son of Grace McDonough)

If I have made a mistake please correct me in the comments!

Labels:

7 Responses to “Cousins from McDonough side of the family”

  1. # Blogger kennedysisters

    Hi Jane! I have that picture as well. #3 is actually Marion (O'Leary) Roosevelt. Great picture, isn't it?

    Best, Mary  

  2. # Blogger Paul

    Hey

    That #4. is Evelyn Garton née McDonough and the event was a family reunion at my sister's (Patricia Quattrochio) in Milford MA. Evelyn was not Aunt Sadie's daughter. Nana McDonough also had a son - known in the family as Uncle Mack - and he was my grandfather. My mother, Marie McDonough, was Evelyn's older sister.

    Evelyn left the convent in ca. 1946, ran the Red Cross activities in Tokio until 1952 and shortly thereafter married Bill Garton, a career officer in the Navy.

    You can check with my sister for more information - 508 - 473 - 4106.

    Or with me ...

    Paul Drew-Bear
    Cologne Germany

    drewbear@amscologne.de

    0049 - 221 - 1301365.  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi Paul,

    I tried to email but it bounced back, so not sure you got my message. Here is a portion of the message I tried to send:

    Here is the info I have regarding your grandfather:

    From Sept. 12, 1918 WWI Registration Card:

    Patrick Thomas McDonough
    Born November 21, 1880
    Died August 6, 1952
    Worked as the Assistant Manager of the L.W. Pond Machine & Foundry Co.
    40 Gold Street Worcester, MA

    Nearest Relative:
    Marie F. McDonough (daughter)
    1 View Street Worcester, MA

    Medium Height
    Medium Build
    Blue Eyes
    Light Brown Color of Hair
    Race: White
    U.S. Citizen: Native Born

    On his April 27, 1942 WWII Registration Card he lists:

    Name of Person who will always know your address:
    Mrs. Marie T. Hayes
    17 Church Street
    Milford, MA

    He was 61 years old then and listed his occupation as unemployed - his address
    was 1 View Street, Worcester, MA

    Height: 5' 7"
    Weight: 176 lbs
    Eyes: Blue
    Hair: Gray
    Complection: Light

    Here he is in a group shot with his parents and sisters (you can click on image
    to see larger)
    http://www.deedy.com/blog/2007/04/another-photo-and-request.html  

  4. # Blogger Paul

    Hi Jane

    Bountiful thanks for your information. Yes, something seems to be wrong with that email address and the student who manages these things for me is not around right now. But at least for the time being, pdrewbear@yahoo.com, which I hope is now tied in with your google link.

    L. W. Pond belonged to the O'Learys and when Marion's father died my grandfather took over the management of the company. His sister then moved to Paris, where Marion went to school for a while. I'm not sure where her brother Tom was at that point but he later studied at Holy Cross. L.W. Pond went under in the depression despite my grandfather putting all of his money into it in the hope that a patent that he had pending would come through quicker than it did in the end.

    Did you get the second message I sent out earlier? If not ...

    Until Nana died in 1948 we would drive up there most Sundays for lunch. In addition to Nana, my grandfather, who at that time lived at One View, my mother, me, my brother Dave (who died 1980) and my sister Patty, Aunt Kate and Uncle Morris (Kennedy), Aunty Mar and Uncle Jack (Barry), Aunt Grace and Uncle John (Deedy) were also there.

    Aunt Lou and Uncle Bob (Rafferty) lived on the top floor so they were there, too.

    I remember Nana as somewhat of a tyrant. At any rate, my attempts to take part in the conversation were always blocked with "Children should be seen but not heard."

    I have a plate here that hung in the dining room at One View Street and made to commemorate Commodore Thomas MacDonough's defeat of an English flotilla on Lake Champlain on September 11, 1814. The family name is of course spelt differently and was in his case Scottish but here it hangs.

    In the baseball season everybody would then huddle around the radio to listen to the Red Sox game, which was serious business at One View.

    When Aunt Lou (Rafferty) died my grandfather was living with us in Milford. But I often dropped into Uncle Bob's office to see him while I was at Holy Cross (58 - 62). He ran the dining hall at the College.

    And, yes, those wakes at the Fays, I remember them well. "God is good" would be chanted in Greek chorus style throughout the afternoon and evening.

    By the way, Nana had a sister Jenny whose married name was Goldsmith. I recall going to her wake at her home, but I don't recall exactly where (North-West of Boston?) or when that was, although I doubt it was any later than 1950, give or take.

    Jane, many thanks again for replying so quickly.

    best wishes

    Paul  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi Jane

    I've been trying to get this through but if it doesn't work this time then I'll need to recruit one of my students over the weekend to help me with this. Same problem with that photo link you gave me, which I am anxiously looking forward to seeing.

    Bountiful thanks for your information. Yes, something seems to be wrong with that email address and the student who manages these things for me is not around right now. But at least for the time being, pdrewbear@yahoo.com, which I hope is now tied in with your google link.

    L. W. Pond belonged to the O'Learys and when Marion's father died my grandfather took over the management of the company. His sister then moved to Paris, where Marion went to school for a while. I'm not sure where her brother Tom was at that point but he later studied at Holy Cross. L.W. Pond went under in the depression despite my grandfather putting all of his money into it in the hope that a patent that he had pending would come through quicker than it did in the end.

    Did you get the second message I sent out earlier? If not ...

    Until Nana died in 1948 we would drive up there most Sundays for lunch. In addition to Nana, my grandfather, who at that time lived at One View, my mother, me, my brother Dave (who died 1980) and my sister Patty, Aunt Kate and Uncle Morris (Kennedy), Aunty Mar and Uncle Jack (Barry), Aunt Grace and Uncle John (Deedy) were also there.

    Aunt Lou and Uncle Bob (Rafferty) lived on the top floor so they were there, too.

    I remember Nana as somewhat of a tyrant. At any rate, my attempts to take part in the conversation were always blocked with "Children should be seen but not heard."

    I have a plate here that hung in the dining room at One View Street and made to commemorate Commodore Thomas MacDonough's defeat of an English flotilla on Lake Champlain on September 11, 1814. The family name is of course spelt differently and was in his case Scottish but here it hangs.

    In the baseball season everybody would then huddle around the radio to listen to the Red Sox game, which was serious business at One View.

    When Aunt Lou (Rafferty) died my grandfather was living with us in Milford. But I often dropped into Uncle Bob's office to see him while I was at Holy Cross (58 - 62). He ran the dining hall at the College.

    And, yes, those wakes at the Fays, I remember them well. "God is good" would be chanted in Greek chorus style throughout the afternoon and evening.

    By the way, Nana had a sister Jenny whose married name was Goldsmith. I recall going to her wake at her home, but I don't recall exactly where (North-West of Boston?) or when that was, although I doubt it was any later than 1950, give or take.

    Jane, many thanks again for replying so quickly.

    best wishes  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi Jane

    It seems that I can write to you within the blogger network if I identify myself as "Anonymous." But it's me, Paul.

    I can not thank you enough for the pictures and information that you sent me yesterday. Among other things, they stoked the fires of my patriotic passions and the need to return to my native soil.

    I do have that group photo of Nana & Dada and their children but only in a photocopy that Marion Roosevelt sent me about 20 years ago and it does not have the high resolution quality of your upload, which I shall forever cherish and in particular the enlargement of my grandfather, who was the most wonderful man. My brother Dave looked exactly like him and had the same benevolent nature, and my sister’s older son Dee looks just like Dave and has inherited his benevolent nature.

    Here a few more memories …

    In the go-go days of the 1920s my grandfather and two of his friends bought the land that they then developed into Wachusett Country Club, memories of which are embedded in the muscles of my left shoulder, which was where I carried his golf clubs when I caddied for him long before the day of the golf cart, which he wouldn’t have found kosher anyway. He played 18 holes every Saturday, rain or shine. To me it seemed like two times 18.

    He was divorced fairly early in his marriage and had unconditional custody of my mother and Evelyn, whom Nana shipped off to Bay View Academy in Rhode Island so that their mother would not have access to them. My grandfather drove down there every Sunday, which was quite a hike in those days.

    When granddaddy married, Nana installed him and his wife in the house across the street, which was one of the several that she owned in that part of Worcester. Nana had originally planned that your grandmother, as the youngest, should not marry and should stay at home and take care of her in her old age. But then Grace eloped to New York with Uncle John and by the time the posse – consisting of my grandfather and Jack Barry – caught up with them it was too late. So my grandfather was ordered back home, where he remained until Nana died in 1948. The upside of this was that he became an excellent cook and did most of the cooking during those four happy years when he lived with us in Milford.

    Nana spent the last few weeks of her life at St. Vincent’s Hospital (not too far from Wabash Avenue, as the crow flies) in Worcester and I was at One View Street keeping my grandfather company. One evening while he was at the hospital I heard on the radio that Babe Ruth had just died and his indifference to this news when he came home was an indicator of how much he was suffering to see Nana die.

    Back in the 1920s my grandfather, Babe Ruth and Jack Barry regularly went ice fishing in Canada, which was a memory that my grandfather liked to look back on.

    Back in Worcester in the 1940s … twice a week a horse-drawn wagon would deliver big blocks of ice for what in those days really was an “ice box.” Tuesdays and Fridays, if my memory serves me rightly. The ice man himself was pretty small, but he would hold those enormous blocks on his back (protected by a piece of black rubber) with sharp-ended tongs and trudge into the kitchen with them.

    I love those pictures of the house, by the way, and will have the down-hill one framed. On the up-hill side I see a back door that I’m not sure was there originally, although your father might have clearer recollections of that than I do. Those triple decker houses all had porches at the back, all three floors, and there were circular clothesline contraptions that cantilevered out from each porch. I’m assuming that the back entrance at ground level was via that porch, but I could easily be wrong on that.

    There was a very big dog house in the back yard that my grandfather built for my mother and Evelyn’s two Boston Terriers, Beauty & Buddy were their names. My mother loved Bostons and even got the governor of Massachusetts to get them named the official state dog. I have a Boston myself and would never have another breed, they’re like members of the family.

    No, Evelyn didn’t have any children. She and Bill were a peripatetic couple, although when he died she moved up (from Florida) to Milford, where she lived in the small house behind my sister’s where my mother had lived.

    I have my grandfather’s photo album here and had a hard copy version of it made for my sister a few years ago. She’s very much into digitalizing everything and I’ll check with her on that, otherwise I’ll have it done here. She’ll be back from Maine tomorrow and I know she’s going to be as excited as I am about the work that you have done for us all. But since she’s got a wedding coming up and will then be going to Seattle I don’t know how quickly she’ll be able to touch base with you.

    My mother went to college in Tarrytown, New York (Mount St. Vincent) and later did graduate work (at NYU) in summer school sessions and lived with the Thompsons in Larchmont. In between she taught French and Latin at Shrewsbury High and lived with the Barrys. The Barrys had a big place at the top of the hill coming from Lake Quinsigamund and the Kennedys lived just a few houses further down the hill on the other side of the street. After Uncle Morris died Aunt Kate moved to Cohasset where Tom had a big barn on his property converted into a terrific house for his her.

    Aunt Sadie : I vaguely recall the child she had being brought up by the Barrys, the idea being that they were the only ones without children. But who was/is that child? And who are the Sullivans? This is a new frontier for me.

    One funny story : Uncle Harold (Burgess) managed a chain of movie theaters in New York back in the 1920s, the silent movie days, and when one of his piano players called in sick he’d call my mother and she’d have to dash down to whatever cinema it was and provide the piano music. My mother was in fact an accomplished pianist and on another occasion was called in to replace someone for a concert at Carnegie Hall. Evelyn played the violin, but I think her understanding of music was more theoretical. In the mid 1950s my mother produced and directed two musical reviews to raise money for the Milford Hospital.

    My father (Paul T. Hayes) was chief of the surgical staff there, but in early 1944 he responded to an appeal from what in those days was called the War Department. He died in Europe in 1945.

    My sister is happily married, has five children and ten grandchildren, all of whom bring great joy into her life – and into her husband’s (Don Quattrochio), too. Patty travels a lot and is otherwise kept on her toes by her big Italian family.

    One final amusing story : The McDonough family plot is big and might look to the uninitiated as though it could house the entire dynasty. That, alas, is not the case. Nana came to Worcester to work in the laundry at Holy Cross College, my grandfather subsequently studied there, as did Jack Barry, and Nana’s devotion to the college was boundless. As a result she ordained that everyone buried in the family plot should be spread out in some sort of celestial regiment-like formation so that when they rose on the Day of Judgement they would all be facing Holy Cross! For those of you with gaps in your knowledge of Worcester geography : Holy Cross is located on a hill about a mile from the cemetery.

    Jack Deedy went to the Cross, as it is known among its alumni, as did Tom O’Leary, as did I and my brother Dave. Are there any other alumni/alumnae out there? When I graduated in 1962 the Cross was still a cloistered men’s college but in the 1970s most men’s and women’s colleges went co-educational in order to have access to a greater talent pool. My grandfather was such an important figure in my life that I could not imagine going anywhere else. My father went to Bowdoin in Maine and to Tufts Medical, just outside of Boston.

    And that, I think, is about all I can manage today.

    But I’ll write to your father over the weekend.

    Jane, most bountiful thanks again for your generous work on this blog.

    more anon…

    Paul  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Paul not to intrude in your familys business but I just recently acquired a box that contained an essay written in 1946 from a young girl from Mlford MA.

    I truly believe she may be writing about your father. The paper does state he was killed Oct. 1 1945 in France and was a young Dr from Milford MA. Thought it may be of some interest to your family if its your dad. mkd3b@aol.com  

Post a Comment


Web Deedy.com

120x90_familyhist_dark_1.gif


XML

Powered by Blogger

free webpage hit counter



© 2008 Deedy.com Blog | Deedy.com
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.