Deedy.com Blog

Look up Deedy in Websters Dictionary and you will see the following definition - \Deed"y\, a. Industrious; active. [R.] --Cowper. But to me Deedy is simply my last name and not a very common one at that. My Father always said "find yourself in a strange city? Open a phone book, find a Deedy and give them a call - chances are they are a relative." So, for all the Deedy's out there hello and welcome.


Why you should always label your photos!

In the early 1950's my Father, Tom Deedy, joined the Army and was stationed in Germany working as a photographer. On one of his leaves, he traveled to Ireland to look-up some relatives. While visiting he took some photographs.

When my Father told me that he had once traveled to Ireland, met relatives, stayed with them, AND took pictures I was thrilled! Unfortunately, while my Father remembers details like the lack of indoor plumbing in the home he stayed in and the thick accents - he can't recall the name of the village he visited, the name of the relatives (he thinks the last name may have been Foley), or if they were related to his Grandfather or Grandmother (he thinks Grandmother - which means they might be from the Donovan or Daly lines).

Knowing that pictures of his visit existed, a hunt ensued to try to find the 35mm slides. I was confident that my Father must have labeled the slides. Finally we found the boxes of slides from his Army days and I looked through dozens of images taken in museums in Paris, old buildings in London, and goofy photos of my Dad and his friends in cafe's and hotel rooms. But only a few photos of his Ireland trip were in the boxes, and they are unlabeled.

The three images were taken in the early 1950's somewhere in County Kerry Ireland. If anyone seeing the images who is familiar with Ireland can help identify the locations - that would be a great help. An even bigger shot in the dark would be if you recognize the very nice couple in the photos who hosted my Father during his visit.

It is not surprising that almost 55 years after the photos were taken my Father is a bit hazy on the details. So take this as a cautionary tale - label your photos!

Labels:

0 Responses to “Why you should always label your photos!”

Post a Comment


Web Deedy.com

120x90_familyhist_dark_1.gif


XML

Powered by Blogger

free webpage hit counter



© 2008 Deedy.com Blog | Deedy.com
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.